Dentures can be uncomfortable, irritating and embarrassing. Many people struggle to chew comfortably and even say that their self-confidence has been undermined by wearing a denture. With advances in implant dentistry, we now have many innovative techniques for denture stabilisation.
From the cost-effective use of mini-implants to stabilise an existing denture, to the complete replacement of a denture anchored with fixed implants, dental implants can transform your comfort, self-esteem and self-confidence.
The implants are titanium screws placed into the jaw, to replace original roots. Depending on the treatment, you may need between 4 and 8 implants to secure each denture in place. It’s a straightforward process which can be completed under local anesthetic. The implants will need three to six months to heal and bond with your jaw bone to provide a solid support for your replacement tooth.
Temporary replacement teeth are usually fitted at the same time as your implant placement, which will stay in place until the final restoration appointment.
Once your jaw has healed, an abutment will be fixed to the implant to hold your denture in place. Abutments are produced in titanium, gold or porcelain, and can come as a standard fit or crafted specifically for you. These options offer a range of aesthetics results, depending on your requirements.
Dentures are then fitted on top, to replace your missing teeth. Your dentist will carefully match the colour of your crown to your natural teeth.
Using an implant supported denture to replace multiple teeth has the advantages of:
• Chewing function is improved - the denture is much more stable - reduced risk of digestive problems
• No more concerns about embarrassing situations when a conventional denture may drop - improved self confidence
• Better support for facial tissues - giving a more 'youthful' appearance
• No need for unpleasant denture adhesives or pastes
• The denture can be removed to ease cleaning around the implant